The music and video companies use that excuse of 'We sell with sex because it's what people want to see.'. First of all, I doubt you sell with the sex, because although a 15 year old boy may enjoy Ke$ha dancing, whilst wolves copulate in the background (what is that wolf sex all about anyway? Anyone get turned on by that, 'cos I sure didn't), there's no way in hell he's going to be seen:
a) Buying a Ke$ha CD
b)Carrying a Ke$ha CD
c)Listening to Ke$ha
And why? To be honest, I really don't know! Do girls want to be like her? Unfortunately the answer to this is yes, but do they buy the music because they like it? It's not likely. It's more likely that they bought it because it's the 'in thing' or because they want to be like her.
Secondly, when did it become acceptable for you to 'sell with sex because it's what people want to see'? I may not be the norm, but I really don't want my family buying me a Katy Perry Live Show DVD and saying ''We thought you'd love it, because it has so many sexual references in, and, well, not just references, but she squirts cream from her boobs!''. If you ask any teen if they would listen to or buy a sexual song in front of parents, they are obviously going to say 'NO NO NO NO NO'. And why? Because it's embarrassing, and nobody wants that awkward moment when Rihanna wants you to make her feel 'like she's the only girl in the world', while your mum or dad is in the room with you.
And it's not just teenagers; adults tut, complain, or feel awkward about it as well. Why would you want to watch something like this with your child?
I wonder what a 10 year old makes of today's pop videos (for example, see above!), which leaves literally nothing to the imagination. Or perhaps I should search a little younger? How about a 4 year old? Because we all know that they're up around 6 or 7 in the morning, watching the box full of intriguing moving images (WOW!), and with music channels such as 4Music and VIVA showing sexual music videos for 24 hours straight, I wouldn't be surprised if you came down in the morning to find little 4 year old Rosie staring at Lady Gaga writhing around on a mans genitalia, while she is wearing only a skimpy bra and knickers.
And for an example, my Saturday morning was a perfect example. I turned on VIVA, because sometimes P!nk is on, and I like her. But anyway. What I saw was not too bad; there was still a number of inappropriate scenes to be shown at 10am in the morning, but what stunned me the most were the lyrics. The song? Take Your Shirt Off by T-Pain. The worst lyric, in my opinion? This:
And other TV shows that had previously been shown after the 9 o'clock watershed are also being shown on Saturday mornings for all ages to watch.Good for you for pointing out this mysoginistic attitude continued by TV companies. Girl Power!
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you are doing this sort of blog! you haven't posted in a while you should keep doing it! :))
ReplyDelete